Deciding upon what type of sod to use for your new lawn installation project will depend on two main factors:
- The use of the lawn area
- The environment you are laying the sod
There are 3 basic types of sod that can be used for residential purposes:
- Standard use sod. Normally a blend of three grass types: Rye, blue, fescue.
- Shade type sod: Higher fescue content.
- Sport type sod / high traffic area: Higher bluegrass content.
Then there are specialty type sod for particular uses:
- Chafer beetle resistant: Higher fescue content.
- Drought resistance sod: Higher fescue content.
- British Columbia Okanagan / Interior Sod: Higher bluegrass content.
- Low maintenance sod: Higher fescue content.
As you can see from above the selections of sod to choose from are closely matched to the usages. To select the proper type of sod to use for your new lawn decide first if you have a shaded area. Having a shaded area will take priority over anything else. Shaded areas do not grow great lawns. Be careful when laying sod in a shaded area and make a determination if there is enough light throughout the year to grow lawn.
For any customer that lives the in the Okanagan or British Columbia Interior it is critical that a bluegrass type sod is used for any new lawn project.
Low maintenance sod sounds like a great idea for those that do not want to put much work into a lawn, establishment will require watering, mowing and fertilization.
Chafer Beetle resistant sod is a tall fescue type sod. If offers an increased defence against the grubs. It’s not a solution but will help. The best thing to prevent chafer beetles is to keep a healthy lawn all year round.
What type of sod is for sale in British Columbia?
If you would like to view all the sod type offered by BC Instant Lawns please click below: