Here are some simple sod installation tips:
- Have your sodding area completely prepared before ordering sod.
- Fertilize the ground prior to installation. Your sod order from BC Instant Lawns will come with root starter fertilizer from Superintendent Lawn.
- If it’s hot out, water the ground lightly before installation.
- Lay the sod out in a brickwork fashion. Stagger the joints to allow for the brickwork pattern to form.
- Do not overlap sod, make sure its nice and butted up. Small gaps will grow in, but larger spaces will need to be filled with spare pieces of sod.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the sod into place. Use the extra cut offs to fill in other spots and gaps.
- Water the sod as you are laying it, if it’s hot out. Water the sod again as soon as you complete the installation.
Sod Installation Notes:
When you receive the sod delivery try to place the sod as close to the installation point as possible. Sometimes sod comes on pallets but for smaller orders pallets are not required.
Make sure you install the sod as soon as possible. When it’s warm outside, sod doesn’t last long rolled up, in cooler weather sod lasts much longer.
Don’t fertilize your sod for 30 days after you initially put down the root starter fertilizer.
You’ll be mowing within 7-10 days if you planted in the growing months (March-October).
Purchase a Yearly Lawn Care Kit to keep your grass looking beautiful.